- sea bass - 4 (6-ounce) pieces
- salt, plus more for seasoning fish - 1/4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning fish - 1/2 teaspoon
- all-purpose flour - 2 cups
- extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons - 3 tablespoons
- garlic cloves, chopped - 3
- crushed tomatoes - 1 (14-ounce) can
- water - 1/2 cup
- chopped fresh parsley leaves - 1 tablespoon
- chopped fresh basil leaves - 1 tablespoon
Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow bowl, dredge the fish, tapping off the excess flour to create a light coating.
In a medium nonstick fry pan, heat the 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook the fish until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer fish to a plate.
Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, tomatoes, water, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes. Add the basil and the fish and heat for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.